Friday, August 18, 2017



Using the Ugee 2150 for Work - Part 1 of 5 

A review of the UGEE 2150 21-inch digital display























Speeding Up the Drawing Process

It’s been a good six years since I transitioned from pen and ink illustration to digital.  It took me three months to get used to working on a Wacom Bamboo Touch tablet---which I still love dearly.   And in those six years, I’ve had two books published and several artworks that have gone to print.  

As I began working on two new books earlier this year, I realized that I needed to speed up the process.  And the best way to do that was to work direct-pen-to-screen.  So, the Cintiq seemed like the obvious choice.  I’ve been exposed to tons of Wacom tablets (seeing them being used and occasionally testing them) due to my many years in the advertising field and it was clear that Wacom was and still is king.  But price is such a big thing.  Wacom Cintiqs are a big investment.

Identifying my artistic needs
  
My budget could have gotten  me a Cintiq 13HD.  But the screen real estate was a problem.  I needed something bigger for zooming in on bigger images---and something that I could rest my palm and part of my arm on.  That’s the way I’ve always drawn on paper.  The bigger Cintiqs were just way out of my budget. 

I needed something that worked well with black and white, the occasional color work, Manga Studio EX, and Photoshop.  I searched online and found quite a number of Cintiq alternatives---most of them from China (one is from Taiwan, I think). Huion was the most popular brand, but for some reason I found that reviews of the UGEE brand of pen displays more compelling.  After weeks of research I contacted a Ugee representative and placed my order for a UGEE 2150.  It took almost two weeks shipping from China to the Philippines.  The unit cost less than half the Cintiq 13 HD.  Unbelievable.

Dispelling the Clone Myth

Many reviewers refer to the Cintiq alternatives as Wacom “clones.”  I know that Ugee and most Chinese brands are not.  Some, if not most, of the clones are  from other respectable name brands and they use Wacom tech.

Majority of chinese brands like UGEE use UC-Logic drivers that were developed independently from Wacom drivers.  On that note, UC-Logic (from Taiwan) has also gotten into making their own pen display tablets called Artisul (Looks like Artisul will be a serious Cintiq contender in the next three to five years---the build quality of their tablets are pretty solid according to most reviewers).

Out of the Box       

There are a bunch of unboxings of  the UGEE 2150 on youtube so I’m not doing that.  My unit came in a very sturdy box with ample protection.  The contents included the full HD IPS monitor with built-in stand, two  rechargable active pens, two pen charging cables,  a pen holder with extra nibs, an hdmi cable, a usb cable, a VGA cable, and a power supply .

Professional Work

After watching and reading so many reviews, I wanted to see if the UGEE 2150 could be used for pro work (againg, I made sure that it matched my needs).  Most reviewers have generalized their statements saying that the UGEE is something for serious hobbyists.  I couldn’t understand why.  I think they arrived at this conclusion due to their longer experiences with Cintiqs.  And because of this, I had to try it out  myself.

How does the unit perform with real work?  I’ll be posting the answers on part 2 of this review!  Tune in next week!